Join your PSO for a special one-night-only tribute concert celebrating the life and music of Marvin Hamlisch. With three Oscars, four Emmys, four Grammys, two Golden Globes, a Tony and a Pulitzer to his name, Marvin Hamlisch truly was “One Singular Sensation.” His indelible body of work includes such legendary hits as “The Way We Were” and “One (Singular Sensation)” from the scores he wrote for more than 40 films and eight Broadway shows, including A Chorus Line.
The evening brings together your PSO and an amazing array of stars. To date, the guest artists joining the PSO include:
- Tony Award-winner and Broadway star Idina Menzel singing “What I Did for Love” and “At the Ballet,”
- Lucie Arnaz and Robert Klein, the original stars of Marvin’s Broadway show They’re Playing Our Song,
- the incomparable singer and pianist Kevin Cole,
- celebrated English actress and singer Maria Friedman,
- Tony-nominated star of Broadway, television and film Brian d'Arcy James,
- Actress, singer and comedienne Klea Blackhurst
- Vocalists Vanessa Campagna and Rocky Paterra
- the All-Star College Chorus, under the direction of Robert Page, and
- acclaimed conductor J. Ernest Green.
We know more guest artists will be joining this stellar group, so please continue to visit this page for updates. All net proceeds benefit the Marvin Hamlisch Pops Artistic Excellence Fund. Many thanks go to PNC for its generous support of this special concert.
On January 29, 2013, we will pay tribute to our dear friend and long-time Principal Pops Conductor Marvin Hamlisch. During the 17 years Marvin led the PNC Pops series, his wife Terre Blair Hamlisch was there every step of the way. Terre has always said that Pittsburgh held a special place in Marvin's heart and in her heart as well.